Honors African-Americans students and adults who have “done the right thing” in Memphis and Shelby County and community. To see pictures and names of the 2008 do the Right Thing Recipients, click here.
Through these programs, Education and Youth Development provide the following services to its youth:
- Academic Preparation: Provide academic support for students in the basic core subjects of Reading/English and Math, as well as additional support in other subjects; with focus on strategies and varied approaches to help each student achieve based on his/her own capabilities.
- Provide a reading comprehension component to strengthen students in the areas of literal and interpretive comprehension.
- Enable students to learn more about their own capabilities, resulting in increased study skills and various learning styles.
- Enable students to develop age-appropriate life skills.
- Students will be able to demonstrate financial literacy skills.
- Expose students to the culture of college life and to various enrichment activities; college tours and corporate tours
- Equip students with knowledge of documents and how to read them; applications, application process, The Do’s and Don’ts of the application process (employment and college admissions) and interviewing techniques to include mock applications and interviews. Job readiness and dressing for success