History

In 1932, the Council of Social Agencies and the Directors of the Memphis Community Fund recognized the need for a social service organization to improve the living and working conditions of the Negro citizens of Memphis. The Community Welfare League was organized through these two agencies in 1932 to respond to the needs of the Negroes and low-income citizens. During its formative years, the Community Welfare League became affiliated with the National Urban League, and on July 27, 1943, changed its name to the Memphis Urban League.